Through NAMIWalks’ public, active display of support for people affected by mental illness, we are changing our American communities and ensuring that help and hope are available for those in need.
Why We Walked
- Mental illnesses are common, affecting 1 in 5 adults and youth.
- Stigma and resulting discrimination prevent many people from seeking help and treatment.
- Without treatment, outcomes are poor-dropping out of school, unemployment, criminal justice involvement, homelessness, and suicide.
- With treatment and community support, people with mental health conditions can recover and lead full lives.
- Knowing there is family and community support makes it easier to share one’s story. Sharing our stories is the most effective way to decrease the stigma surrounding mental health conditions.