Helpline Responder Volunteer Opportunity
Are you interested in making a meaningful difference in people’s lives?
We have an opportunity where you can do just that from the comfort of your home! The mission of NAMI North Carolina is to provide support, education, advocacy, and public awareness so that all affected by mental illness can build better lives. Although NAMI NC does not provide direct services, individuals that reach out to our Helpline can receive information, warm support, and referrals. Our Helpline provides a vital service to those affected by mental illness in North Carolina. Due to an increase in the needs of our community, NAMI NC is now recruiting interns and others to serve as volunteer Helpline associates providing this valuable resource.
Helpline volunteers will gain experience in giving support to those in need, as well as become familiar with mental health resources throughout North Carolina. This position will be remote, so you can volunteer from anywhere in North Carolina. Training and support will be provided.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in listening and ability to convey respectful, empathetic tones;
- Basic knowledge of mental illnesses, treatments, recovery, and mental health care systems with an interest in learning more;
- Minimum basic skills with MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel) and social media;
- Bilingual English/Spanish ability strongly welcomed, but not required;
- Respect and compassion for people affected by mental health conditions with a desire to help others facing mental health challenges;
- Ability to manage emotionally stressful situations with a positive spirit and open-mindedness; and
- Passion to learn about mental health conditions, resources, and behavioral health system.
Interested in making a difference? Please complete this form.